top of page

How can I Immigrate to Canada?

Updated: Mar 6

A large jetliner flying through a blue cloudy sky over Canada.

The most common consultation request we receive is from people asking how they can immigrate to Canada. But this is not a simple question and is very specific to the individual, their work experience, their age, their education, their language abilities in English and French, whether they have an offer of employment from a Canadian employer, and where they intend to live in Canada. Most people contacting me with this question don't realize that there are over a hundred immigration programs, all with very specific requirements.

The most common pathway to permanent residence are the Federal Express Entry Programs. In order to properly advise on your eligibility for one of the Express Entry Programs, we require language test results from a designated language testing agency as well as educational credential assessments of your post secondary education. Though only your highest degree needs to be assessed, you should consider having all certificates and degrees assessed in case they are assessed at a lower level than you anticipated. We also need to see your up-to-date and detailed resume to be able to calculate periods of Canadian and foreign work experience and possibly determine your National Occupational Classification (NOC) for all positions held in the past 10 years. If you have a Canadian job offer or education, we also need all Canadian work and study permits, offers of employment, job descriptions, diplomas and transcripts, as well as your passport bio-data page to confirm your country of citizenship, identity (a Law Society of Ontario requirement) and age. If you are married, providing these documents for your spouse may increase your points. All of this information is required to determine if you are eligible for one of the Federal Express Entry Programs and if you have sufficient Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) points to be invited to apply for permanent residence.

We can not guess at your possible language test results as the actual results will drastically impact your points and probability of selection. You can use this free credential evaluation tool from World Education Services but it does not guarantee how your actual credentials will be evaluated. An official educational credential evaluation for immigration purposes is required to apply for permanent residence through Express Entry.

In Express Entry, people are penalized for being over the age of 30, having lower language test results, and not having Canadian work experience or education. The best way to increase your score is to study and improve your language test results, study and take a language test in the other official language or try and find employment in Canada and an employer willing to support your work permit. Increased language test results and Canadian work experience are the best way to increase your points.

We do NOT assist people with finding employment in Canada.

Many provinces and territories have strict rules around recruitment and using recruiters. You should never pay someone to find you a job in Canada, and you should never pay an employer to support your work permit application. Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIAs) applications must be paid for by the employer NOT the foreign worker.

Legitimate Canadian job posting websites include: the Government of Canada's Job Bank,,, professional association job boards, and newspaper classified ads. You can search the Job Bank for postings where the employer has already applied for an LMIA.

If you don't have sufficient points to be invited to apply under Express Entry, each province and territory has its own provincial nominee programs (PNPs) with its own distinct requirements. Most require a job offer or work experience in the province, education in the province, and/or experience working in a specific occupation (NOC). If these programs interest you but you are not already living or working in these provinces and not otherwise eligible for a PNP program, you should consider first trying to find an eligible employer in that province willing to support a work permit permit application.

Other immigration options include the Atlantic Immigration Program (AIP) or the Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot Program (RNIP). Both these programs require the support of an approved employer from an eligible province or community. If these programs interest you but you are not already living or working in these provinces or communities, you should consider first trying to find an eligible employer willing to support a work permit permit application.

If you are interested in one of the Federal or Ontario pathways to permanent residence we can help you assess your eligibility, navigate your options, and prepare a complete application that meets Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and/or the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program's (OINP) strict guidelines.

Contact us to book a paid consultation.



bottom of page